Sunday, March 27, 2011

Making Tofu

I kind of miss going down the street a mile and buying a 19 oz. box of tofu for $1.59. Actually, I really miss it. Tofu is one of my favorite foods. In Bolivia, if you don't eat meat, there aren't a whole lot of protein sources besides beans/legumes. ...And there are only so many things that you can make with beans. In fact, I'm kind of tired of eating beans. So then come the days when we try new things :) Like making tofu from soybeans. A few weeks ago the people of Bolivia (and of other South American countries) celebrated this ridiculous (in my opinion) Holiday, Carnaval. Basically it's like Mardi Gras where everyone parties for about 5 days/nights. Another thing that goes along with it is that everyone, especially the kids like to throw paint and water balloons at other people. It's not usually dangerous to go out and around the city during the day, it's just not preferable. Every once in a while you'll get a mean person who will throw a rock instead of a water balloon and shatter a windshield or throw water balloons filled with urine or bleach water instead of just plain water. So when Carnaval came around, we decided to stay home for a few days instead of driving out to the property to continue work on the house. One afternoon, when DJ and Steve were busy fixing motorcycles and working on airplane paperwork, Helen and I decided to make tofu. It turned into an all afternoon and part of the evening ordeal. I thought that you might enjoy seeing the process, so here are some pictures :)
First the soybeans must be blenderized at a ratio of 1 cup soaked soybeans to 2 cups water.

What was blenderized then has to pass through a screen of some sort. We used a pillowcase :)

The leftover fibrous part can be used, but is often just thrown out. The milk that remains must then be cooked. Helen began to squeeze a pile of lemons between stirring the milk and running the blender. I was on the squeezing part (see picture 2).
Once the milk comes to a boil, it gets turned off.

Next we added the big cup of lemon juice and epson salts.

And it started to curdle.

And curdle some more until it looked like this picture below.

We then solicited Steve's help to pour the large pot into our pillowcase strainer set up.

Lastly the water was squeezed out of the tofu and the tofu was pressed.

A picture of the final product was neglected to be taken as the night was coming on and the photographers were busy washing dishes. The result was the blue strainer bowl full of tofu and some happy, but tired tofu makers.

1 comment:

Shells said...

ha ha ha Jodi! you never cease to amaze me. It reminds me of our try at making gluten. Thankfully that was NOT an all afternoon/evening deal!